I've read several (all pretty short) books this month so thought I'd do a little mid month update. Hopefully I'll still have plenty of books to share at the end of August. These are books 23-27 for the year:
- #23 Cloth Lullaby: The Woven Life of Louise Bourgeois by Amy Novesky and illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault
- #24 Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
- #25 A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver
- #26 At a Crossroads: Between a Rock and My Parents' Place by Kate T. Williamson
- #27 100 years: Wisdom from Famous Writers on Every Year of Your Life by Joshua Prager and Milton Glaser
There were some really good books in this stack. Cloth Lullaby is technically a children's book but still very good and BEAUTIFULLY illustrated. Fun Home was just wow! what a story! It also has really great illustrations but unfortunately I barely looked at them because the story was just so compelling.
A good friend suggested I might like Mary Oliver's A Thousand Mornings and as usual she was right. I shared a snippet of this video on Instagram stories earlier today.
I asked in the year of creative habits Facebook group for memoir recommendations and I got SO many! I started with At a Crossroads: Between a Rock and My Parents' Place by Kate T. Williamson (and also Fun Home ended up being on that list of recs too.)
And then today I finished 100 years: Wisdom from Famous Writers on Every Year of Your Life by Joshua Prager and Milton Glaser. I wasn't sure about this one because I didn't know if all the years would really fit together to tell a "story" but it works. And also introduced me to several new writers.
I'm still not quite on track to read 50 books this year but I'm catching up. I'd be happy with 40 as this year has turned out a little more busy than I expected (and also I turned 40 this year so that seems fitting.) :) Onward.