I'm home today from a week-long vacation. It feels good to be home and of course there's lots to catch up on. I kept up with my morning drawings during the whole trip and I let everything else go. Today I thought I'd share a few tips that worked for me.. Before the trip--
- Decide which habits you'll work on during vacation. Remember it's vacation, relax! Don't try to do everything.
- Pack up necessary supplies but keep things extra simple. You don't want to be lugging around extra stuff.
During the trip--
- Take full advantage of travel time. You can probably get some quality time in while riding in the car or on an airplane. It's a also a great time to think and people watch.
- Do your creative work first thing in the morning. Routines are all out of whack while on vacation and the day quickly gets away. It's easiest to do it early while others are still sleeping. I found that if I waited until night when others went to sleep, then I was too tired to concentrate.
- Get comfortable working around others. There's often no alone time on vacation.
- Do just enough to keep up the habit and your momentum. Get some rest and refuel.
After the trip--
- Pull all your vacation work together and reflect. The change in scenery and the change in routine definitely had an effect on my work.
- Use your photos, momentos, and memories to spur a new project.