What's the best way to learn to do something? For me, it's to decide that I want to learn and figure it out on my own. It's frustrating, time consuming, and humbling. It also feels really good when I figure it out. I've a long way to go with my computer skills but I'm learning. I was inspired by the patterns of Tuesday Bassen and Kate Bingaman Burt so I sat down to figure out how to make a pattern out of my own drawings. I couldn't find many tutorials online that worked for me because I'm using Photoshop Elements. I'm also working without a scanner today as we get our new printer/scanner set up. So trial and error resulted in this:
Here's the basic steps that I used (mostly to remind myself for future use)
- took a photo of my drawing with my iPhone.
- adjusted levels and contrast of the photo in photoshop and converted to black/white
- used the selection tool to select parts of my drawing
- pasted selections onto a blank canvas
- arranged and rearranged selections
- created a new canvas twice as big as the old one
- pasted four copies of the arrangement onto the new canvas
- arranged the copies into an offset pattern
- cropped the arrangement into a square
- Edit--create pattern
- created a new, large canvas for my pattern
- Edit--fill layer, selected pattern
Now I want to learn to add color!