I think I'm finally done. This one is 9 times the size of one of my daily paintings but it took way more than 9 times the time! It was a lot of fun until the very end when it got very tedious. If you've been following along then you know that I've been studying Andy Warhol. I ran across these pieces on Pinterest.
In 1962, Warhol created a series of five paint-by-number paintings based on commercially available sets blown up into large wall sized canvases. Liberties were taken with numbering and coloring and only a small portion of the works had color applied creating a wonderfully unfinished aesthetic.
I love these and they seemed to just perfectly fit me. I've been into the paint-by-number look and I'm totally into the unfinished look. I find that way more interesting. I love the numbers. I just loved the whole thing, especially the barn one.
I knew I wanted to make something similar. I also knew that I wanted to use my own photo so that it would be my painting, not copying a commercial set. I wanted to stick with traditional paint-by-number images like landscapes, horses, etc. So I began with this photo that I took at Table Rock Lake a couple years ago. I played around with it in photoshop trying to simplify the colors and shapes and get a look similar to paint-by-number.
I printed it out and put a grid on it so that I could transfer it to my wood panel. Then it was just a matter of penciling in the shapes and painting them, block by block. That took weeks!
I added the line work with a micron pen and last I added the numbers, using dry transfer decals. It was difficult to figure out which areas to leave unfinished. I kinda wish I'd left more of it white but overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. But I have NO plans to do another one right now! Whew! I'm just so happy to be done.