- Find a buddy. Find someone else who's doing it too. Inspire each other. Check in with each other and hold each other accountable.
- Make it public. Tell people what you're doing. Just saying it aloud will reinforce your goals to yourself.
- Make it routine and almost boring. Then spice it up when you need it. Walk the same route everyday so you don't have to think about it. Then when you are bored to tears with it, change it up.
- Focus on one change at a time. Don't try to build new habits in every area of your life. It's not sustainable. Take it one change at a time. I know the saying is 30 days to build a habit but it's not necessarily true. The more difficult the habit, the longer it takes. Go for at least 100 days or even a year before starting another.
- Track your progress. Look back and give yourself a pat on the back. Take time to celebrate the small wins and the big wins but don't do it in a way that sabotages your progress.
Everyone I know who's had some success in one of these areas still struggles sometimes. There's no fool proof plan. What has been the key to improving your habits?